Security measures at maintenance of the car
When conducting any control checks or operations on maintenance of the car it is always necessary to show care to reduce probability of traumatizing or damage of the car. General measures of safety which have to be carried out surely when carrying out maintenance of the car are given below.
• It is forbidden to perform works on the hot engine.
• At first switch off the engine and let's it cool down.
• It is forbidden to climb under the car lifted on a jack. In need of work under the car it is necessary to use additional supports.
• You do not smoke and do not bring closer an open flame or the sparking objects to the rechargeable battery and a mouth of the fuel tank (and also to other elements of a power supply system fuel).
• It is forbidden to attach or disconnect plugs of the rechargeable battery, and also sockets of any electronic devices at the included ignition (the ignition key is in situation "II").
• At connection of plugs of wires with conclusions of the rechargeable battery pay attention to their polarity. It is forbidden to attach a positive wire to a negative conclusion of the battery and vice versa
• It is necessary to remember that in electric network of the car current of considerable size proceeds, and some wires are under high voltage. Therefore be careful not to cause short circuit.
• When conducting any checks or adjustments on the working engine indoors (for example) good ventilation should be convinced of a garage available.
• You store the fulfilled engine oil, cooling liquid and other operational liquids in the place, inaccessible for children and pets.
• The empty and used capacities from under oils and operational liquids should not be thrown out in containers for collecting household garbage. Hand over them on the special collection points for waste oil located in your area.
• If it is necessary to carry out any inspections or adjustments in a motor compartment at the working engine, transfer a control lever the transmission to the neutral provision or the provision of "PARK" and completely turn on the parking brake. At failure to follow these recommendations the car can unexpectedly start.
• In order to avoid traumatizing at work in podkapotny space always switch off ignition and take out a key from the ignition lock. Cases when works on maintenance have to be performed at the working engine can be an exception. Carrying out works in a motor compartment at the working engine, be careful of hit of clothes, especially a tie or a scarf, in blades of the fan and other rotating details engines. When tightening clothes in the rotating parts getting injured and damage of details of the car is possible. Besides, it is recommended to remove the watch, bracelets and rings.
Instruction on safety
In order to avoid traumatizing hands blades of the fan it is necessary to perform all works in a motor compartment at the switched-off ignition. In this case the fan cannot get into gear.
If to leave ignition included, the electronic module operating operation of the fan can unexpectedly turn on for you the fan electric motor.
At the included ignition it is also very dangerous to touch wires and blocks of system of ignition which are under high voltage. It is necessary to remember that the electronic system of ignition installed on your car differs from usual system in higher energy of sparking.
Control survey of the car by the driver
For safety of the movement and reliability of the car it is recommended to perform before a trip control inspection in the following volume.
Outside of the car
1. Check air pressure in tires and existence of traces of damages of tires.
2. Check an inhaling of bolts of fastening of wheels.
3. Check serviceability of devices of lighting and the alarm system.
4. Check existence of traces of dribble of oil, cooling liquid, fuel and brake fluid.
In the car
1. Check the size of a side play and reliability of fastening of a steering wheel.
2. Check the size of the course of the lever of the parking brake.
3. Check serviceability of a sound signal, screen wiper of a windshield and indexes of turn.
4. Check serviceability of the indexes, control lamps and indicators located in a combination of devices.
5. Check fuel level in a tank according to the index.
6. Check adjustment of rear-view mirrors.
7. Check serviceability of mechanisms of blocking of door locks.
8. Check the size of a free wheeling of a pedal of coupling, the initial provision of a pedal and operation of the drive of management of coupling.
In a motor compartment
1. Check oil level in the engine.
2. Check a tension of a driving belt.
3. Check the level of cooling liquid in a broad tank.
4. Check a condition of the rechargeable battery.
5. Check liquid level in a windscreen washer tank.
6. Check the level of brake fluid in a tank of the main brake cylinder.
7. Check the level of working liquid in a tank of the steering hydraulic booster.
Replacement of oil in the engine and an oil filter
Replacement of engine oil has to be made depending on two factors: sizes of a run of the car and duration of use of oil in the engine. It is caused by the fact that properties of oil worsen not only during the operation of the engine in use of the car, but also because of natural aging of oil. At the operation of the car connected with frequent launches of the cold engine or the prevailing movement in a dense city transport stream with frequent stops, frequency of replacement of engine oil and an oil filter has to be reduced in comparison with specified in regulations of maintenance of the car. The oil filter is subject to replacement on new along with replacement of oil in the engine.
Frequency of replacement of oil – through each 10000 km of a run or 6 months (through 500 km of a run or 3 months in difficult service conditions). Filling capacity – the engine 1,5 DOHC: 3,75 l, l MPI 1,8/2,0 engines: 4,25 l (including an oil filter). The following belongs to the difficult service conditions demanding more frequent replacement of engine oil:
– short trips range to 6 km prevail;
– short trips range to 16 km prevail at negative ambient temperature;
– trips with frequent stops and long operation of the engine idling, and also with the movement of the car at a small speed prevail (for example, in the conditions of the city movement);
– operation of the car in the dusty area.
Check of level of oil in the engine
Take out the oil probe of the engine and wipe it from oil pure rags. Then insert the probe into place, having lowered it against the stop, and again take out. Level of oil has to be between tags "MOVE" and "MIN". Visually check also oil for existence of pollution and foreign impurity.
Level of oil should not exceed a tag "MOVE" on the probe. Excessively high level of oil leads to increase in a consumption of oil at waste, oiling of spark plugs and the increased formation of a deposit.
At an oil dolivka in the engine apply the same oil that was filled in in the engine at the last replacement.
An inspection of level of oil in the engine has to be carried out at the parking of the car on the flat horizontal platform (before launch of the engine). If the engine works, muffle it and wait about 5 min. before checking oil level. This pause is necessary in order that oil flew down in the engine case pallet.
In the cooling system of the engine the low-freezing liquid on an etilenglikolevy basis is filled in. Cooling liquid of normal concentration has the low temperature of freezing and high protective properties against corrosion of metal details of the cooling system of the engine and a heater. Therefore cooling liquid should not be replaced with water even in the summer. On the cold engine the level of cooling liquid has to be between tags "MIN" and "MOVE" on a wall of a broad tank (fig. 1.110). Level of cooling liquid in a broad tank increases at warming up of the engine up to the normal working temperature and again decreases when cooling the engine.
If the level of cooling liquid in a broad tank decreased below a tag of "MIN", add in a tank mix of water and etilenglikolevy liquid in a proportion 50/50 and bring the level of cooling liquid to norm. It will provide preservation of low-temperature and anticorrosive properties of cooling liquid at the previous level. Frequency of replacement of cooling liquid – through 40 000 km of a run or 2 years.
Filling capacity – the engine 1,5 DOHC: 6,1 l (antifreeze: 3,0 l, water: 3,1 l), l MPI 1,8 / 2,0 engines: 8,0 l (antifreeze: 4,0 l, water: 4,0 l).
Do not overflow a broad tank. For production of cooling liquid use only soft demineralized water.
If the index of temperature of cooling liquid signals about an overheat of the engine or tell some other external signs about it, stop the car.
Switch off the air conditioning system. If from under a cowl steam rises, do not stand in close proximity to the car. Switch off the engine. Then turn a key and include ignition, without launching the engine. At the same time the fan which will begin to cool a radiator will turn on. Only after steam ceased to rise from under a cowl, lift a cowl. Check the level of cooling liquid in a broad tank. When falling level of cooling liquid check existence of traces of leak of liquid through untight connections of hoses of a radiator, heater, and also in the radiator and the water pump. If you found leak of cooling liquid or other defects, do not operate the engine before elimination of all malfunctions. Immediately address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo.
Oil level in the transmission with manual switching
Check oil level in the mechanical transmission about 2 min. later after switching off of the engine. The car has to stand on the flat horizontal platform. Turn out a stopper of a jellied opening in a case of the transmission and check oil level.
Normal level of oil corresponds to bottom edge of a jellied opening. At insufficient amount of oil add gearbox oil in a case and bring its level to norm (to bottom edge of a jellied opening), screw into place a stopper of a jellied opening and reliably tighten it.
Oil level in the automatic transmission *
For ensuring reliable and durable operation of the automatic transmission it is very important to support the normal level of gearbox oil constantly. Therefore the level of gearbox oil has to be controlled periodically. The oil probe on which two tags are applied is intended for control of level of oil: (To add) "MIN" and "MOVE" (full) (fig. 1.111). For control of level of gearbox oil it is necessary to install the car on the flat horizontal platform. Control of level is made at the idling engine. The lever of the selector of ranges of the transmission has to be in situation "P". Take out the oil probe, wipe it dry rags and again insert into the directing transmission tube, having moved it against the stop. Then take out the probe and check oil level. If the transmission cold, it is necessary to use control tags on that party of the oil probe on which there is °C designation "+20". In case of check of level of oil on the transmission at a working temperature of gearbox oil it is necessary to be guided by the control tags put on the party with the designation "+80 °C". Temperature of gearbox oil reaches the normal operating level only after the car run on distance not less than 15-20 km.
Add gearbox oil in the transmission, only if the level of oil decreased to the mark "MIN". Oils you make Dolivka through the directing probe tube. Do not pour oil above a tag "MOVE". At all operations connected with control of level of gearbox oil and its dolivka it is necessary to observe strictly all precautionary measures against hit in the dirt transmission. Particles of sand and other pollution can seriously damage or break normal functioning of the transmission. Apply only special gearbox oil to automatic transmissions.
Frequency of replacement – through each 40 000 km of a run or 2 years. Filling capacity – 6,5–7,0 l.
Working liquid of the hydraulic drive of coupling
Level of working liquid has to be between tags "MIN" and "MOVE" on a tank wall.
When falling level to a tag of "MIN" add working liquid of the recommended brand in a tank and bring its level to norm.
Falling of level of working liquid can demonstrate leak of liquid through untight connections in system of a hydraulic actuator of coupling. In this case address the closest dealer or on the service station Daewoo for repair.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and is saturated with moisture from air. The increased content of water in brake fluid reduces reliability and safety of the hydraulic brake drive.
For this reason it is necessary to replace periodically brake fluid on new according to regulations of maintenance of the car. Brake fluid is toxic and aggressive in relation to a paint and varnish covering of a body of the car. Level of brake fluid has to be between the tags "MOVE" and "MIN" put on a wall of a tank (fig. 1.112). Apply to a dolivka only the recommended brake fluid. Having uncovered a tank, bring the level of brake fluid to a tag "MOVE". Then densely twirl a cover. Falling of level of brake fluid can demonstrate leak of liquid through thinnesses in system of the brake hydraulic drive. In this case address the closest dealer or on the service station Daewoo for repair.
Frequency of replacement – through each 20 000 km of a run or once a year. Filling capacity – 0,5 l.
Working liquid of the hydraulic amplifier of steering
Check the level of working liquid at the switched-off engine. Apply only special working liquid to steering hydraulic boosters of the recommended brand.
Level of working liquid of the steering hydraulic booster needs to be controlled according to regulations of maintenance of the car. On the measuring probe which is attached to a tank cover tags of "ADD" and "FULL" (fig. 1.113) are put. At the engine which is warmed up up to the normal temperature the level of working liquid has to be about a tag of "FULL". At the cold engine the level of working liquid should not fall below a tag of "ADD".
Frequency of service – to check the level of working liquid and to add if necessary. Filling capacity – 1,0 l.
At operation of the car in strongly dusty area the filtering element should be replaced more often than it is provided by regulations of maintenance.
Periodically between replacements clear the filtering element of dust, vigorously stirring up it, wipe the case of the air cleaner and its cover with damp fabric from within. Blow the filtering element a stream of compressed air in the direction, the return to the movement of air during the operation of the engine (fig. 1.114). Do not operate the engine with the removed air filter.
Generator drive belt
Fig. 1.115. Index of an automatic natyazhitel of a driving belt of the generator: And – a working zone; In – the index of a natyazhitel
Serviceability and the correct tension of a belt are necessary conditions of normal operation of the generator of electric current. If the index of an automatic natyazhitel of a driving belt is in a working zone A (fig. 1.115), the tension of a belt is normal. Replace a belt on new if the index of an automatic natyazhitel appeared a working zone.
For safety when checking a tension of a driving belt take out a key from the ignition lock.
Windshield washer liquid
The tank of windscreen washer is located in a motor compartment (fig. 1.116).
We recommend to apply special liquid to a windshield washer.
Use of cooling liquid of the engine in system of a washer of a windshield as it damages a paint and varnish covering of a body of the car is forbidden. Driving without sufficient reserve of liquid of windscreen washer can constitute danger. Periodically check windscreen washer liquid level.
Do not dilute windscreen washer liquid with water. Small crystals of ice can cork liquid supply pipelines to nozzles of sprays.
Windshield screen wiper
Working order of screenwash is very important from the point of view of ensuring good visibility and traffic safety. Periodically check a condition of brushes of a screen wiper. Replace brushes if they lost elasticity, became fragile or leave marks on glass.
Do not use the polishing structures which contain silicon as they leave not deleted traces on the surface of glass. Visibility through a windshield can worsen. Pollution of a surface of a windshield or brushes foreign substances reduces efficiency of a screen wiper. At deterioration of purification of glass it is necessary to wash out a windshield and brushes with use of soft detergent, and then to carefully rinse them clear water. If quality of purification of glass did not improve, repeat processing. For replacement of a brush press a spring clamp and remove a brush from the lever of a screen wiper (fig. 1.117).
Installation of a new brush on the lever is made by simple pressing.
Operation of the rechargeable battery
On your car the unattended rechargeable battery without traffic jams is installed. The battery does not demand carrying out periodic maintenance.
The indicator located on the top cover of the battery allows to control a state and extent of battery charging.
Green – the normal state (degree of charging of 65% and more).
Black – to charge the battery (charging degree less than 65%).
Transparent – to replace the battery and to check serviceability of the generator and regulator (low level of electrolyte).
Disconnect plugs from battery conclusions only after switching off of the engine. Check existence of traces of corrosion of conclusions of the rechargeable battery (a white and bluish raid). For removal of a raid from a surface of conclusions moisten them with solution of baking soda. Substance of a raid will begin to bubble and will change color to brown. After that wash out battery conclusions simple water. Wipe the battery dry a woven or paper towel. Cover battery conclusions with a layer of mineral gel for protection from further corrosion. For maintenance of the rechargeable battery in the normal working condition it is necessary to carry out the following.
1. You watch reliability of fastening of the battery in the nest.
2. You watch that the cover of the battery was pure and dry.
3. You watch that conclusions of the battery and plug of wires were pure, are densely tightened and greased with mineral gel or special lubricant.
4. Immediately wash away the electrolyte drops which got on the battery water solution of baking soda.
5. At a long break in operation of the car disconnect the battery from electric network of the car and regularly (each 6 weeks) recharge it.
Wheels and tires
For ensuring comfort, traffic safety and long service life of tires it is necessary to support constantly in them the recommended air pressure.
Check air pressure in tires (including and a spare wheel) at least once in two weeks, and also before each distant trip. Pressure of air is controlled on cold tires by means of the exact tire manometer. Abnormal pressure of air in tires results in bystry and uneven wear of a protector, worsens controllability of the car, comfort and traffic safety. At the long movement of the car with a high speed of the tire heat up thereof air pressure in them increases. It is not necessary to correct air pressure on heated tires.
After control of pressure of air in tires densely wrap caps of gates.
The recommended air pressure in tires, kgf/cm2 (the size of tires – 185/65 R14): loading to 3 people – 2,0 (lobbies) and 1,8 (back); full loading – 2,2 (lobbies) and 2,4 (back).
Condition of tires
The blow by a wheel about curbstone can lead to the hidden damage of the tire. Defect can be imperceptible at first and will be shown later. Nevertheless such tire represents threat to security of the movement, especially at a high speed. Therefore if necessary move a border carefully, at a small speed and it is perpendicular to the line of a border. Periodically visually check a condition of tires, degree of wear of a protector and existence of visible defects of sidewalls.
The tire is subject to replacement if depth of the drawing of a protector decreased to 1,6 mm.
At bystry or uneven wear of tires address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo for control of technical condition of a suspension bracket and steering (fig. 1.118).
If in the course of long operation of the car forward wheels wear out quicker than back, it is recommended to trade their places, as shown in the figure 1.119. Deeper drawing of a protector on forward wheels will ensure the increased traffic safety.
Replacement of tires
It is recommended to replace worn-out radial tires with the whole set of new tires at once. On each axis have to be established completely identical by the size, a design and the drawing of a protector of the tire of one brand.
If you use winter tires, they have to be installed on all wheels. It is forbidden to exceed the most admissible speed of the movement which is established by the manufacturer of tires. At operation of the car on winter tires it is necessary to adhere to the values of pressure of air recommended by the manufacturer of tires.
Winter chains of antisliding
Rules of use of chains of antisliding can be various depending on the region and type of a paving. Therefore before installation of chains it is necessary to specify the existing local rules. It is necessary to install antisliding chains on wheels in strict accordance with instructions of the manufacturer of chains (fig. 1.120).
Coupling bandages of chains of antisliding can scratch decorative caps of wheels. Therefore before installation of chains take off decorative caps.
Establish chains on forward wheels and fix them as it is possible more densely. It is not recommended to mount antisliding chains on back wheels. Tighten chains after 0,5–1,0 km of a way.
Catalytic converter of the fulfilled gases
Operation of the car on ethylated gasoline puts catalytic converter of the fulfilled gases and some knots of an electronic control system of the engine (fig. 1.121) out of action. On cars with catalytic converter the bulk mouth of the fuel tank is executed narrowed that makes impossible filling of the car with ethylated fuel by means of the ordinary distributing gun used on columns with ethylated gasoline. At non-compliance with the recommendations given below catalytic converter or the car can fail.
• Urgently address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo if interruptions in operation of the engine or considerable loss of power are observed if the engine works unstably after cold start-up or if there are other signs of abnormal operation of the engine which can be a consequence of malfunction of system of ignition. If it is necessary, you can continue the movement short time at a small speed and low turns of a bent shaft of the engine.
• At hit in catalytic converter of not burned down fuel (because of incomplete combustion of fuel-air mix in cylinders of the engine or admissions of ignition) process of burning can continue in the converter that causes its overheat and breakdown.
In this regard avoid the following situations or the wrong actions.
• Frequent cold launches of the engine.
• Long work of a starter in unsuccessful attempts of launch of the engine (during rotation of a bent shaft the starter into the inlet pipeline of the engine injects fuel).
• Full fuel use from the fuel tank (irregular intake of fuel in the engine leads to a converter overheat).
• Launch of the engine by means of towage or pushing of the car (at the same time not burned down fuel gets to the final pipeline and converter). In case of impossibility of launch of the engine from own rechargeable battery it is necessary to use the serviceable battery of other car.
Regularly and in full you carry out at the service station Daewoo periodic maintenance of the car according to the regulations established by the manufacturer. In this case you can be sure that all blocks and knots of electric equipment, system of injection of fuel and system of ignition will normally function, emission of harmful substances will be at a low level, and catalytic converter of the fulfilled gases will serve long.
Control lamp of malfunction of systems of the engine
The control lamp lights up at inclusion of ignition and continues to burn during launch of the engine with a starter. The control lamp dies away later short time after the beginning of operation of the engine. The electronic control unit controls work of systems of injection of fuel and ignition, regulates idling of the engine and limits the frequency of rotation of a bent shaft. Inclusion of a control lamp in operating time of the engine demonstrates existence of refusal in systems of the engine. At emergence of refusal the electronic block passes into emergency operation of management of systems of the engine, providing a possibility of continuation of the movement of the car. For elimination of malfunctions address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo. Do not operate the car long time with the included control lamp of malfunction of systems of the engine as it can lead to failure of catalytic converter, increase in fuel consumption and deterioration in traction and high-speed properties of the car. Short-term inclusions of a control lamp are norm and do not speak about existence of malfunctions in systems of the engine.