1.8. Practical advice
Spare wheel, jack and tools
The spare wheel, jack and tool kit are located in the luggage compartment of the car (fig. 1.105). The spare wheel is in a niche under removable half of the luggage compartment and is fixed by a bolt.
The jack and a set of the tool are near a spare wheel in special office.
Transportation of a jack, spare wheel or other equipment in interior of the car can bring in a road accident case to traumatizing. You store all listed objects in places which are specially intended for this purpose.
Replacement of a wheel
In order to avoid possible injuries when replacing a wheel attentively study the instructions given below and follow all recommendations aimed at providing your safety.
• Install the car on the firm and flat horizontal platform.
• Switch off ignition and take out a key from the ignition lock.
• Turn on the alarm light system and slow down the car the parking brake. On the car with the automatic transmission transfer the selector lever to situation "P". If on the car the hand-operated transmission is installed, include the first transfer or transfer of a backing.
• Establish on the road a sign of an emergency stop according to Traffic regulations.
• Enclose under the wheel located on diagonal from damaged, a brake wedge, or the suitable size and a form a stone, or a piece of a tree to block this wheel.
• Use a jack only when replacing of the damaged wheel.
It is forbidden to climb under the car lifted on a jack. It is forbidden to launch the engine of the car installed on a jack, and also to lift on a jack the car with the working engine. Before raising of the car on a jack all passengers have to leave salon.
It is forbidden to lift the car a jack on the inclined platform. The jack has to be established under the basic nest of a body, next to the damaged wheel. If necessary подлезть under the car installed on a jack it is necessary to use additional support.
Carefully fix a jack, the handle and tools that they did not rattle and did not jingle during driving. In order to avoid scratches and other damages of an external covering of decorative plastic caps of wheels, for a sink of caps it is necessary to use the sponge or soft fabric which is plentifully moistened with water.
Address to customer road service if there are no conditions for safe replacement of the damaged wheel by own efforts or you are not able to execute this operation competently and with observance of all precautionary measures.
Wheel replacement procedure
• Take off a decorative cap by means of the handle of a wheel key.
• Turn off all bolts of fastening of the damaged wheel on one turn, but do not unscrew bolts completely before posting on a jack (fig. 1.106).
• Turn the jack screw on four turns clockwise and establish a jack under one of lobbies or back basic nests of a body, the next to the damaged wheel. The arrangement of basic nests of a jack under a threshold of a body of the car is shown in the figure 1.107.
For reduction of risk of traumatizing it is necessary to use that jack which completed your car and to establish it strictly under a basic nest of a body. It is forbidden to opirat a jack head on other parts of a body of the car.
• Raise the car on a jack before full posting of a wheel over the basic platform (approximately by 3 cm), rotating the jack screw by means of the handle (fig. 1.108). The head of a jack has to enter deepening of a basic nest precisely. It is not necessary to lift the car more, than it is necessary.
• Turn off bolts, rotating them counterclockwise, and remove the damaged wheel.
• Establish a spare wheel, screw bolts and tighten them by hand.
• Rotating the jack handle counterclockwise, lower the car. Serially tighten a key bolts of fastening of a wheel in the sequence 1–2–3–4 (cross-wise).
• Establish into place a decorative cap.
Use of improper bolts or the wrong inhaling of bolts of fastening of a wheel can lead to loss of a wheel on the run of the car, always use only the bolts which are specially intended for fastening of wheels. Before installation of a wheel remove corrosion products from privalochny surfaces of a disk.
It is forbidden to apply oil or jellied lubricant on bolts.
Launch of the engine from a foreign power source
If the rechargeable battery of your car is discharged, the engine can be launched from the battery of other car. Strictly follow the instructions given below as careless or wrong carrying out launch of the engine from a foreign power source can lead to traumatizing people or damage of cars and other property. Rechargeable batteries at careless handling represent danger as emit explosive gas, contain sulfuric acid of rather high concentration and can cause damage to the person electric current at short circuit. Short circuit, besides, can put electric equipment of both cars out of action.
• It is forbidden to bring an open flame and the sparking objects to the rechargeable battery.
• Protect eyes, open parts of the body, a fabric upholstery and the painted surfaces of the car from electrolyte hit. Electrolyte contains sulfuric acid which causes burns, corrodes and damages the objects contacting to it.
• For reduction of risk of traumatizing use goggles during the work with the rechargeable battery.
• Check tension of the rechargeable battery from which you are going to launch the engine. It has to have identical rated voltage with the rechargeable battery of your car (12 V).
• Do not disconnect the plug of wires of the discharged battery.
• Switch off everything unnecessary consumers of electric energy.
• Do not bend over the rechargeable battery during launch of the engine.
• You watch that clips of connecting cables did not concern each other.
• Turn on the parking brake. Transfer a control lever the transmission to neutral situation (on the car with the automatic transmission transfer the selector lever to situation "P"). Attach clips of lengthening cables.
1. Attach one clip of the first lengthening cable to a positive conclusion of the charged battery from which launch of the engine will be made. A positive conclusion is noted by the sign "+" on the case of the battery or on the most output probe.
2. Attach other clip of this cable to a positive conclusion of the discharged battery (it is noted by the sign "+").
3. Attach one clip of the second lengthening cable to a negative conclusion of the charged battery from which launch of the engine will be made. A negative conclusion is noted by the sign "—".
4. Attach other clip of this cable to "mass" of your car (for example, to the block of cylinders of the engine or a bolt of a support of the engine). Do not attach a clip of a negative cable directly to a "minus" conclusion of the discharged battery!
The place of accession of this clip has to be located as it is possible further from the discharged rechargeable battery.
Arrange lengthening cables so that they could not get on the rotating engine details.
5. Launch the car engine with the charged rechargeable battery from which launch of the engine of your car will be made. Between attempts of launch of the engine of the car with the discharged battery it is necessary to maintain pauses lasting not less than 1 min., duration of continuous work of a starter in each attempt of start-up should not exceed 15 pages. After launch of the engine both engines should allow to work idling within about 3 min., without disconnecting lengthening cables.
6. Switch off the engine and carefully disconnect clips of lengthening cables in the return sequence.
If during launch of the engine from the foreign rechargeable battery you left the radio tape recorder in the included state, it can sustain serious damage. Engines of the cars equipped with catalytic converter of the fulfilled gases or the automatic transmission cannot be launched by means of towage or pushing of the car. It can lead to failure of converter or automatic transmission.
Towage of the car
Turn on the alarm light system on both cars. Reliably fix a towing cable to cars.
Install the gear shifting lever in neutral situation in the hand-operated transmission or transfer the lever of the selector of the automatic transmission to situation "N". Include ignition for an unblocking of the lock of a steering shaft and ensuring work of stoplights, a sound signal and a screen wiper of a windshield. Try to avoid breakthroughs at towage of the car for what it is necessary to move smoothly and with a small speed. It must be kept in mind that efforts to pedals of a brake will be more, than usually as the amplifier of brakes will not work. On the cars equipped with the amplifier of steering, resistance to rotation of a steering wheel will also increase in comparison with the habitual level as the pump of the hydraulic booster will not work. To prevent hit of the fulfilled car tractor gases in interior of the towed car, close windows and all ventilating grates. Cars with the automatic transmission should not be towed on a cable. Such cars have to be towed with the lifted forward wheels, method of partial loading (fig. 1.109).
Cars have to be towed with the lifted driving (forward) wheels. If because of strong damages or other conditions towage of the car with the lifted driving (forward) wheels is impossible, it is necessary to use surely the basic cart for forward wheels. The towing hook is intended only for evacuation of the got stuck car from a hole, deep snow, dirt, etc. When using a towing hook you watch that the direction of the enclosed effort always coincided with a longitudinal axis of the car. It is forbidden to load a towing hook with cross forces. In order to avoid damages of the car try to choose a weak point of a towing cable gradually and without breakthroughs.
Rocking of the car when jamming
When jamming the car in snow, on sand or on weak soil try to remove the car, shaking it back and forth. For this purpose with the movements of the car switch the automatic transmission from the range of "D" in range "R" to a step and back, moving the selector lever between the relevant provisions and slightly pressing an accelerator pedal (on the cars equipped with the manual transmission switch the transmission from the first step to a backing and back).
During rocking of the car do not press strongly a pedal of an accelerator and do not increase sharply the frequency of rotation of a bent shaft of the engine. If after rocking of the car within one-two minutes it was not succeeded to get out of jamming, perhaps, you will need assistance. In order to avoid an overheat of the engine and breakage of transmission stop attempts to bring the car out of jamming independently and resort to evacuation by means of the tow.
Avoid slipping of forward wheels with excessively high speed of rotation as it can lead to traumatizing people and/or to premature failure of details and knots of transmission.
Towage of the trailer dacha or cargo trailer
As your car is designed first of all for transportation of passengers, its use for towage of the trailer dacha or the cargo trailer leads to deterioration in the main operational properties: controllability, brake dynamics, fuel profitability, durability, etc. Safety of the car with the trailer depends on observance of service regulations and serviceability of the used equipment. It is forbidden to overload the trailer and to use it not for designated purpose.
The maximum weight of the trailer which can tow your car is limited including to type of the special equipment which is installed on the car and the trailer. Before towage of the trailer it is necessary to be convinced that the car is equipped with the corresponding equipment. The dealer of Daewoo will help you to pick up and mount the resembling equipment for towage of the trailer on the car.
Loading of the trailer dacha or cargo trailer
In order that it is correct to load the trailer dacha or the cargo trailer (further just the trailer), you have to be able to determine the full mass of the trailer and load of the coupling device. The full mass of the trailer includes the equipped mass of the trailer and mass of all freights. For determination of full weight it is necessary to weigh completely loaded trailer on automobile scales. Load of the coupling device is defined at completely loaded trailer and an arrangement of the coupling device at normal working height from the surface of the road. Load of the coupling device can be measured by means of household bathroom scales. The full mass of the trailer should not exceed the extreme resolved values.
Maximum permissible load of the coupling device makes 75 kgfs. The extreme allowed mass of the towed trailers:
– in the presence of the brake system on the trailer – 1060 kg;
– in the absence of the brake system on the trailer – 500 kg.
The specified full mass of the trailer corresponds to operation of the car on roads with longitudinal biases to 12%.
At towage of the trailer load of a back axis of the car (taking into account the weight falling on a back axis of completely loaded car, and load of the coupling device from the towed trailer) should not exceed the extreme resolved value.
The full mass of the car when towing the trailer should not exceed extreme value (GVWR) resolved for this car. The full mass of the car includes the equipped mass of the car, mass of the driver and passengers, the mass of freights, mass of the coupling device and weight falling on the coupling device of the car from the towed trailer.
Using a wire nozzle, strictly conform to safety rules: very often even from the most qualitative wire nozzle its separate elements constituting danger first of all to eyes begin to take off.
Brake system of the trailer
If the trailer is equipped with the brake system, operate it in full accordance with instructions of the manufacturer. It is forbidden to make any changes to a design of the brake system of the trailer.
Devices of external lighting of the trailer
Check that your trailer was equipped with devices of external lighting and the alarm system according to the existing local requirements. Before a trip check serviceability of all devices of lighting and the alarm system on the trailer.
Before towage of the trailer check that air pressure in tires corresponded to the recommended values (see the plate for the driver's doors). A permissible load for each axis of the car is given in the same plate.
At operation of the car with the trailer it is required to carry out maintenance with smaller intervals.
Regularly check reliability of an inhaling of bolts and nuts of the towing device.
Always establish safety chains between the car and the trailer. Pass safety chains under the coupling device of the trailer to prevent its falling on the road in case of a detachment from the towing device of the car. At installation of chains follow recommendations of the manufacturer. For a road train turn possibility safety chains have to have a sufficient weak point. Chains never have to be dragged on the road.
Recommendations about operation of the car with the trailer
On the car the cooling system fan with the electric drive is installed. Therefore intensity of an obduv air of a radiator does not depend on the frequency of rotation of a bent shaft of the engine. With high frequencies of rotation of a bent shaft the engine generates more heat, than at low. For this reason at the movement uphill it is not necessary to pass to a low gear in advance if the movement on the highest transfer is possible. Overcoming rise, do not exceed the speed of 30 km/h on the first transfer and 50 km/h – on the second transfer. At turn of the road train be convinced that is available rather free space for journey of the trailer. Avoid sharp maneuvers.
• Before a trip check serviceability of devices of lighting and the alarm system of the trailer.
• Do not exceed the allowed speed of the movement at towage of the trailer.
• Avoid sharp start-off, dispersal and braking.
• Avoid sharp turns and evolutions.
• Always move at a moderate speed.
• On the parking always you stop the car and the trailer. Use the parking brake of the trailer at its existence. It is not recommended to stop the road train on abrupt biases.
• Study instructions of the manufacturer of the trailer.