1.4. Launch of the engine and driving
The recommended fuel
The car should be operated on the high-quality brands of fuel released by the industry. Quality of motor fuel exerts decisive impact on the developed power, traction properties and durability of the engine. In this regard the large role is played by the additives added to fuel. Therefore apply only high-quality fuel with the corresponding additives.
Gasoline with low octane number causes an engine detonation. The Daewoo company does not bear responsibility for damages and other negative consequences of operation of the engine on low-octane gasoline. It is allowed to apply gasoline with higher octane number in comparison with gasoline of the recommended brands. If the car is intended for operation only on unleaded gasoline, the mouth of its fuel tank is executed by narrow. It does not allow to insert a branch pipe of the distributing gun which is used on columns with ethylated gasoline into a tank mouth. Thereby casual filling of the car with ethylated fuel is excluded.
Guarantee certificates of the manufacturer of the car do not extend to damages of fuel system and deterioration in technical characteristics of the car which happened because of application as fuel of the methanol or gasoline containing methanol.
Use of methanol is forbidden
Cars of the Daewoo brand cannot be operated on the gasoline containing methanol (wood alcohol). It will lead to deterioration in operational properties of the car and damage of details of fuel system.
Operation of the car in other countries
If you are going to operate the car abroad:
– study local rules of registration and insurance of cars;
– check existence in the area of alleged operation of the car of fuel of suitable quality.
The provision of "OFF" (ignition is switched off)
Switching off of the engine without blocking of a steering shaft (fig. 1.36).
The provision of "ON" (ignition is included)
Ignition and food of all consumers of the electric power is included.
Provision of "LOCK" (blocking of a steering shaft)
At extraction of the ignition key from this situation the steering shaft is automatically blocked from rotation. For operation of the lock of a steering shaft turn a steering wheel in neutral situation before click of a locking element.
For simplification of an unblocking of a steering shaft slightly shake a steering wheel to the left-to the right, at the same time turning the ignition key from the provision of "LOCK" in situation "I".
Situation "START" (starter)
Inclusion of a starter for launch of the engine. Release the ignition key at once after launch of the engine. At the same time the key will automatically come back to situation "II".
Never take out a key from the ignition lock during the movement of the car as it will lead to automatic blocking of steering. The car will become uncontrollable that can lead to accident with heavy consequences.
Never it is necessary to turn the ignition key in situation "B" or "I" on the run of the car.
Before launch of the engine
• Be convinced of what around the car is available rather empty seat.
• Periodically, along with check of level of oil in the engine, you perform control inspection of the car in the volume which is provided by the present instruction.
• Check purity wind, back, side glasses, and also lenses of headlights and lamps.
• Visually on appearance check a condition of tires. Check air pressure in tires.
• Adjust the provision of a seat and head restraint.
• Adjust situation internal and external rear-view mirrors.
• Fasten a seat belt, and also ask all passengers to follow your example.
• Check serviceability of the alarm light system (the ignition key has to be at the same time in situation "II").
Launch of the engine
1. Turn on the parking brake.
2. The car with the mechanical transmission with manual switching. Transfer the gear shifting lever to neutral situation "N", press completely a pedal of coupling and hold it in the pressed situation during launch of the engine (fig. 1.37).
3. The car with the automatic transmission. Transfer the lever of the selector of ranges of the transmission to situation "P" (parking) or "N" (neutral situation). Position "P" of the lever of the selector is more preferable.
In other provisions of the lever of the selector launch of the engine is impossible. For reasons of safety blocking of inclusion of a starter at all other provisions of the lever of the selector corresponding to ranges of the movement (fig. 1.38) is provided.
3. Without pressing an accelerator pedal, turn of the ignition key include a starter for launch of the engine in situation "III". When the engine starts working, release the ignition key. If after start-up the engine decayed at once, repeat the procedure of start-up described above
Duration of continuous work of a starter should not exceed 15 pages. If the engine was not launched from the first attempt, wait 10 with and then try to launch the engine once again. Long continuous work of a starter or its frequent inclusions without endurance of pauses, necessary for cooling, can put a starter out of action.
If at launch of the engine there was a strong reenrichment of fuel-air mix, slowly press an accelerator pedal against the stop and, holding it in this situation, include a starter for launch of the engine. Long operation of the engine idling (5 min. and more) can lead to an overheat of details of system of production of the fulfilled gases and damage of the car.
4. Warm up the engine. After start-up let's work to the engine idling not less than 30 pages. Move at first at a small speed, especially to cold weather.
The immobilizer of Daewoo is the anti-theft device and ensures additional safety against stealing of the car. In the presence on the immobilizer car launch of the engine by the stranger significantly is at a loss. The ignition key which completes the car equipped with an immobilizer represents a usual mechanical key with the electronic code device which is built in the handle. The code device is invisible outside. Launch of the engine is possible only by means of a key with a certain individual electronic code.
Other keys which codes do not coincide with an individual code of an immobilizer of your car can unlock the door lock only. Anticreeping action of an immobilizer is that it interrupts electric chains of system of ignition, the fuel pump and fuel nozzles.
Control of the transmission with manual switching
Fig. 1.39. Provisions of the lever at gear shifting on cars with the mechanical transmission and rings of blocking of turning on of the reverse gear
To include any transfer, completely squeeze out a coupling pedal. Then transfer the lever of switching of the transmission to required position and smoothly release a pedal of coupling (fig. 1.39).
You do not hold constantly a leg on a coupling pedal during the movement of the car. It can put coupling out of action.
Before inclusion of transfer of a backing completely stop the car. To include transfer of a backing, it is necessary to lift the ring located under the handle on the gear shifting lever. In order to avoid damage of coupling it is forbidden to include the first transfer at a speed more than 16 km/h.
Control of the automatic transmission *
Your car is equipped with the automatic 4-staged transmission with an electronic and hydraulic control system. The fourth transfer – raising.
Fig. 1.40. An arrangement of the button of a clamp (1) of the lever of the selector on cars with the automatic transmission
Provisions of the lever of the selector of the transmission which correspond to various ranges, are noted to the left of a cut for movement of the lever and at the same time are reflected the special indicator in a combination of devices (fig. 1.40).
Do not try to transfer the lever of the selector of ranges to situation "P" (parking) on the moving car. It can put the transmission out of action. Include the range "Р" (parking) only after a full stop of the car.
Blocking of movements of the lever of the selector of ranges
Fig. 1.41. Possible movements of the lever of the selector with the pressed and not pressed button of blocking of movements of the lever of the selector
Press the clamp button which is located sideways handles to move the selector lever to provisions "R" (backing), "Р" (parking) or to switch the lever from the range of "D" to provisions "3" and "L" (the lowest transfer) (fig. 1.41). The white arrow designated free movements of the lever of the selector which do not demand pressing of the button of a clamp.
(Parking) or "N" (neutral situation) in situation to lobbies or a backing you make switchings of the selector from provisions "P" for the movement of the car only at the pressed brake pedal. It will prevent the unexpected movement of the car from the place during switching of ranges of the transmission.
Start-off of the car from the place
After launch of the engine press completely a pedal of a brake and, holding it in this situation, transfer the selector lever to one of provisions "D", "R", "3" or "L". Before switching the selector to situation "R" or "P", be convinced of a full immovability of the car.
Fig. 1.42. The button of blocking which needs to be pressed when translating the lever of the selector from a N position in a D, 3 or L position
1. Holding a pedal of a brake of pressed, transfer the selector lever to the provision of one of ranges for the movement to lobbies or a backing (fig. 1.42).
2. Switch off the parking brake and release a brake pedal. By slow pressing an accelerator pedal the car will smoothly start.
olozheniye of the lever of the selector P, R and N
Situation "P" (parking).
Forward wheels are mechanically blocked from rotation. You transfer the selector lever to this situation only after a full stop of the car and turning on of the parking brake.
Situation "R" (backing).
It is forbidden to turn on the lever in this situation to a full stop of the car.
Situation "N" (neutral).
Range "D" (movement)
In this situation the lever of the selector has to be constantly during the movement of the car in usual road conditions. In the range of "D" automatic switching of the 1, 2, 3 and 4 transfers is provided. The fourth (raising) transfer allows to reduce the frequency of rotation of a bent shaft and noise level of the engine, and also to improve fuel profitability of the car.
After launch of the engine and inclusion of range the "D" automatic switchings of the transmission are always made according to the "economic" program providing low fuel consumption.
At turning on of the lever of the selector in situation "3" automatic switching of the 1, 2 and 3 transfers is provided.
The transmission continues to work at the third transfer even at a high speed of the movement of the car. It is forbidden to include range "3" at a speed which exceeds the resolved value for this range.
Range of "L"
Inclusion of range of "L" provides the greatest possible efficiency of braking with the engine at the movement on abrupt descents. The transmission constantly works at the first transfer.
In order to avoid failure of the transmission observe the following recommendations.
Do not press an accelerator pedal when switching the lever of the selector of ranges from provisions "P" or "N" in one of provisions "R", "D", "3" or "L". Hold a pedal of a brake pressed in the course of the specified switchings of ranges of the transmission.
In order to avoid failure of the transmission it is forbidden to move at the included range "L" on distance more than 8 km and to exceed the speed of 90 km/h. Try to use the range of "D" as often as possible. Never turn on the selector lever in situation "P" or "R" on the moving car.
At a stop on rise do not try to hold the car in motionless situation due to regulation of force of draft of driving wheels an accelerator pedal. For deduction of the car from rolling on a bias it is necessary to use the working brake system.
It is forbidden to use mechanical blocking of transmission in position of the lever "P" instead of the parking brake.
Switch off ignition before leaving the car even for a short time. Never leave the car unguarded at the working engine. At failure to follow these recommendations perhaps spontaneous and unexpected start-off of the car from the place.
Switch of the dynamic and economic modes of the transmission *
For ensuring intensive dispersal of the car or maintenance of high speed on long rises press the switch of the dynamic mode of the transmission located sideways on the handle of the lever of the selector of ranges (fig. 1.43). At inclusion of the dynamic mode in combinations of devices the control lamp of "POWER" lights up. Automatic switchings of the transmission will be made according to the dynamic program which allows to realize traction and high-speed properties of the car fully. This program provides a delay of switchings to the highest transfers to higher frequencies of rotation of a shaft of the engine. As a result the car develops higher accelerations during the overtakings or the movement on rises.
This mode is intended for use in usual traffic conditions. Economy mode of switchings of the transmission provides high fuel profitability at operation of the car in the most often found traffic conditions: as in the city with characteristic frequent stops and dispersals of the car, and on country highways. Economy mode of the transmission joins automatically.
Switch of the "winter" mode of the transmission *
At the complicated start-off of the car from the place on a slippery paving press the WINTER switch which transfers the automatic transmission to the "winter" mode (fig. 1.44). This mode can be included, only if the lever of the selector of ranges is in situation "D". Along with pressing of the switch in a combination of devices the control lamp of "WINTER" will light up. After inclusion of the "winter" mode the car surely starts on the third transfer without intensive pro-slipping of driving wheels.
The "winter" mode of the transmission facilitating start-off from the place is automatically switched off after the speed of the car exceeds 30 km/h. The "winter" mode can be switched off by forcibly repeated pressing the WINTER switch. Besides, the transmission automatically comes back to a usual operating mode at transfer of the lever of the selector to any of provisions "3", "L" or "N", at inclusion of the Kick-down mode more than on 2 with or at switching off of ignition.
Emergency operation of the automatic transmission *
The constant blinking of a control lamp of "POWER" demonstrates refusal of an electronic control unit transmission, sensors or other knots of a control system of the transmission. In this case automatic gear shifting is cancelled, but an opportunity to operate the transmission manually remains. Use the selector lever for manual switching of steps of the transmission. Compliance of position of the lever of the selector to the included transfer:
Р — P D — the 4th;
R — R 3 — the 3rd;
N — N L — the 1st.
At failure of the system of control of the automatic transmission it is necessary to address urgently the dealer or on the station of service network Daewoo. The built-in means of self-diagnostics allow to find a transmission cause of defect quickly.
Recommendations about operation of the automatic transmission *
Start-off of the car from the place
Fig. 1.45. The button of blocking which needs to be pressed when translating the lever of the selector from a N position in a D, 3 or L position
After launch of the engine before transferring the selector lever from situation "P" or "N" to one of ranges of the movement, reliably slow down the car, having pressed a brake pedal. Otherwise the car will begin to move with a small ("creeping") speed. Never press at the same time pedals of an accelerator and a brake. At operation in usual road conditions the automatic transmission has to be switched constantly on in the range of "D" (automatic switching of the 1, 2, 3 and 4 transfers). At smooth and quiet management of an accelerator pedal transmission will quickly switch to the highest transfers providing high fuel profitability of the car. Need of inclusion of ranges "3" or "L" can appear only at the movement in special conditions, for example, when it is required to avoid switchings to the highest transfers or when intensive braking by the engine is necessary. As soon as road conditions allow, it is necessary to switch the transmission to the range of "D" (fig. 1.45).
Mode of compulsory inclusion of a low gear Kick-down
Fig. 1.46. Pressing of a pedal of an accelerator against the stop for compulsory inclusion of a low gear of Kick-down
If the speed of the car is not really big, then when pressing an accelerator pedal against the stop (with overcoming additional resistance) there is a compulsory switching of transmission to the lowest transfer (fig. 1.46). It provides full use of engine capacity for intensive dispersal of the car.
Braking by the engine
For increase in efficiency of braking by the engine at the movement on descents use range "3" or if necessary the range of "L". The greatest brake moments on driving wheels are provided in the range of "L". If switching of the transmission in the range of "L" happened at too high speed, inclusion of the 1st transfer automatically is late until the speed of the car does not decrease to the level which provides safe inclusion of the 1st transfer. At the same time the car will be slowed down by braking of the engine on the 2nd transfer in spite of the fact that the lever of the selector is in situation "L".
At a car stop the lever of the selector of the transmission can remain in the provision of one of the chosen ranges of the movement. The engine will not decay and will continue to work after a car stop. At a stop on a bias turn on the parking brake or press a brake pedal. Do not increase the frequency of rotation of a shaft of the engine for maintenance of steady work idling if the car is slowed down at simultaneous inclusion in the transmission of one of ranges of the movement.
At a long stop of the car, for example, in street "stopper", kill the engine.
Before going out of the car, turn on the parking brake, transfer the transmission selector lever to situation "P" (parking) and take out a key from the lock of ignition (fig. 1.47).
Rocking of the car back and forth when jamming
If necessary to bring the got stuck car out of sand, dirt, snow or holes alternately (in a step with rocking of the car) turn on the selector lever in provisions "D" and "R", at the same time slightly pressing a pedal of an accelerator (fig. 1.48). Avoid sharp impacts on a pedal of an accelerator and operation of the engine at a high frequency of rotation of a bent shaft. It can lead to unexpected breakthrough of the car. The described reception of control of the transmission can be used only in the mentioned exceptional circumstances.
Maneuvering of the car
When maneuvering the car on limited platforms, for example, at the parking or entrance to a garage, use the mode of the movement of the car at a so-called "creeping" speed which corresponds to completely released accelerator pedal. Regulate car speed by means of easy pressing a brake pedal. Never press at the same time pedals of an accelerator and a brake.
Working brake system
The working brake system provides necessary efficiency of braking in the wide range of road conditions and at any loading of the car (up to the most admissible). Increase in a full speed of a pedal of a brake can be caused by violation of adjustment of gaps in drum brake mechanisms of back wheels. For clarification of the reason of increase in the course of a pedal of a brake it is necessary to start several times the back and forward course, at the same time sharply slowing down the car strong pressing a brake pedal.
Address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo if the pedal of a brake does not come back to a starting position at its otpuskaniye or the full speed of a pedal quickly increases after the next adjustment. These phenomena can be a sign of malfunction of the brake system.
During the movement of the car you do not hold constantly a leg on a brake pedal. It will cause premature wear of overlays of brake shoes and can lead to failure of the brake system.
Anti-blocking brake system * (ABS)
The anti-blocking system interferes with blocking of wheels at emergency brake application or braking on a slippery paving. The electronic control unit of ABS controls speeds of rotation of the braking wheels and regulates pressure of working liquid in a brake hydraulic actuator. Work of ABS usually is followed by small vibrations of a pedal of a brake and insignificant noise. These external signs of functioning of ABS are quite normal phenomenon. At emergence of malfunctions of ABS it is automatically switched off. Existence of refusal of ABS is demonstrated by fire of a control lamp in a combination of devices. At refusal of ABS operability of the main brake system completely remains. As soon as possible it is necessary to address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo.
Braking of the car during the work of ABS
At emergency brake application completely press a brake pedal, having at the same time squeezed out a coupling pedal. ABS will at once get into gear and will provide preservation of controllability and course stability of the car. We recommend to you to master practically described reception of braking of the car. However it is necessary to avoid the emergencies demanding emergency brake application.
Despite technical perfection of ABS, it cannot prevent the road accidents which happen because of a carelessness of the driver or a dangerous manner of driving of the car. Eventually, responsibility for own safety and safety of passengers and pedestrians lies on the driver of the car. Therefore the ABS useful properties can be fully shown only at attentive and careful style of driving of the car.
For turning on of the parking brake lift the lever (fig. 1.49) up. To switch off the parking brake, lower the lever in a starting position. For this purpose at first raise the lever a little up and press the clamp button located in a handle end face. Then lower the lever down.
For adjustment of the parking brake address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo.
Using a wire nozzle, strictly conform to safety rules: very often even from the most qualitative wire nozzle its separate elements constituting danger first of all to eyes begin to take off.
Check serviceability of a control lamp of turning on of the parking brake at each launch of the engine. The control lamp burns at the working engine and the switched-on parking brake. The movement with the switched-on or not completely switched off parking brake will result in bystry wear of brake shoes of back wheels and failure of the brake system.
Parking of the car
1. Completely turn on the parking brake.
2. Cars with the transmission with manual switching: at the parking on descent include transfer of a backing, and at the parking on rise – the first transfer. Cars with the automatic transmission: move the lever of the selector of ranges to situation "P" (parking).
3. Turn the ignition key in situation "B" (blocking of a steering shaft) and take out it from the ignition lock.
4. Lock all doors, previously having checked whether keys in interior of the car are left.
The flammable garbage which is under the car can ignite at contact with hot details of system of production of the fulfilled gases. Therefore do not stop the car on platforms with the scattered paper or in the places covered with dry leaves, a grass and other combustible materials. Always turn on the parking brake before leaving the car.
Recommendations about economic operation of the car
Fuel profitability of the car substantially depends on your style of driving. As where and when you go – all these factors influence traveling fuel consumption or, in other words, distance which can pass the car on one liter of gasoline.
For achievement of the maximum fuel profitability of the car we recommend to you to follow the following rules.
• Start smoothly and disperse with moderate acceleration.
• Avoid long and unnecessary operation of the engine idling.
• Support the correct adjustment of all systems and knots of the engine.
• Do not operate the engine at a high frequency of rotation of a bent shaft.
• Turn on the air conditioner (at its existence on the car) only when it is really necessary.
• Slow down the speed of the movement along bad roads with an uneven covering.
• Support the recommended air pressure in tires. It is useful not only from the point of view of fuel profitability, but also for increase in service life of tires.
• Support a sufficient distance to ahead the going car. It allows to move more evenly in a transport stream, to reduce the frequency of use of the brake system and to reduce wear of brake mechanisms. Besides, fuel consumption decreases by the subsequent dispersal of the car to former speed.
• You do not carry with yourself unnecessary things.
• You do not hold during the movement of the car a leg on a brake pedal. It will lead to increase in fuel consumption, bystry wear of brake shoes, and also can put the brake system out of action.
• Constantly support the car in technically working order. Values of adjustable parameters have to conform to requirements of the manufacturer.
Security measures against poisoning with the fulfilled gases (carbon oxide)
• Avoid inhalation of the fulfilled gases. The fulfilled gases contain toxic carbon oxide which has no color and a smell. Carbon oxide is hazardous to health. Long inhalation of this gas leads to loss of consciousness and can be deadly.
• At detection of hit of the fulfilled gases in interior of the car immediately address the dealer or on the service station Daewoo for definition and elimination of malfunction. At impossibility to eliminate malfunction on the place continue the movement only with completely open windows of the car. Not to allow hit of the fulfilled gases in interior of the car, periodically check a condition of system of production of the fulfilled gases and a body: at each replacement of engine oil when the car is on the elevator; at noticeable change of noise of system of production of the fulfilled gases; at emergency or corrosion damages of system of production of the fulfilled gases, the basis or a back part of a body.
• Do not leave for long time the engine working in the closed, badly aired rooms, for example, in a garage. In these conditions the engine should not work longer, than it is necessary for departure or statement of the car in a garage.
• At the long parking of the car on the open area with the working engine switch off the recirculation mode for access of fresh air to interior of the car and turn on the fan on the maximum mode.
• Never you are and do not leave children for a little long time in the motionless car with the working engine.
• You do not go with an open luggage carrier as the fulfilled gases can get to interior of the car. If you are forced to go with an open luggage carrier or an open back door, it is necessary to close all windows, to switch off the mode of recirculation and to open all air vents in the control panel for access of fresh air to interior of the car and to turn on the fan on the maximum mode.