6.3. System of charging
Generators of alternating current are installed in cars. Depending on model and the electric equipment installed on the car Delco Remy CS generators of various power of CS-121 and CS-130 can be installed. Figures designate the outer diameter of plates of the stator in millimeters.
CS generators are equipped with the built-in regulator of tension. According to the electric characteristics the Delta stator, the block of the rectifier and a rotor with contact rings and brushes are similar to those which were used in earlier generators. A standard pulley and a krylchatka are applied, however, the opening for test is not provided.
Fig. 6.12. The electric circuit of system of charging with the Delco Remy CS generator: 1 – fusible insert; 2 – ignition switch; 3 – cars with the mechanical transmission; 4 – cars with the automatic transmission; 5 – the coupling switch (becomes isolated when pressing a pedal); 6 – switch of the mode of the automatic transmission; 7 – traction relay of a starter; 8 – the holding winding; 9 – the involving winding; 10 – starter engine; 11 – switch of the traction relay; 12 – drive knot; 13 – drive lever; 14 – engine; 15 – flywheel; 16 – relay anchor; 17 – returnable spring; 18 – fusible insert; 19 – rechargeable battery; 20 – block of safety locks; 21 – block of safety locks; 22 – reformative buffer module of the generator; 23 – control lamp of charging; 24 – generator stator; 25 – tension regulator; 26 – vypryamitelny block; 27 – generator
Unlike three-wire CS-121 generators it is possible to use only with two plugs: for connection with the positive plug of the + rechargeable battery and with a control lamp of L (fig. 6.12). Use of plugs P, I, and S is optional. The plug P is connected to the stator and can be connected to a tachometer or other external device.
As well as in a case with other systems of charging, the control lamp of charging lights up at turn of the ignition key in situation "ignition" and dies away during the operation of the engine. If the indicator burns during the operation of the engine, it testifies to malfunctions in system of charging. The control lamp will brightly burn at several malfunctions, and also in cases when tension in system is too big or too little. Installation of the regulator of tension changes depending on temperature; the regulator limits tension in system to change of current of the electromagnetic field of a rotor.
The regulator switches on and off current of the electromagnetic field of a rotor with the fixed frequency about 400 Hz. Adjustment of tension in system is reached by change of time of switching off and inclusion with corresponding change of average value of current of the electromagnetic field. With high frequencies of rotation time of inclusion can make 10%, and switching off time – 90%. With low frequencies of rotation and at big electric loading time of inclusion can be equal to 90%, and switching off time – 10%.
Diagnostics of system of charging
During the normal work the control lamp of the generator will join at turn of the ignition key in situation "ignition" and to be switched off during the operation of the engine. If the lamp joins and switched off not as it is provided, or if the rechargeable battery is in not completed charging or recharged state, for diagnostics of system of charging it will be possible to use the procedure given further. It is necessary to remember that the insufficient level of charging of the rechargeable battery can be caused by the fact that electric devices were left included for the night or the fact that the switch because of what the lamp in the luggage compartment or in a ware box remains constantly included is faulty.
Operations of diagnostics of the CS-121 generator
1. Examine the belt drive of the drive of the generator and wires.
2. At turn of a key in situation "ignition" and an engine stop the control lamp has to burn. If it does not occur, disconnect wires from the generator and connect a wire of the L plait of wires to "weight" by means of an additional wire with a safety lock on 5 A.
A. If at the same time the lamp lights up, replace the generator.
B. If the lamp does not light up, establish the place of a rupture of a chain between the switch of ignition and the socket of a plait of wires. Burn-out of a control lamp is also possible.
3. At turn of a key in situation "ignition" and operation of the engine with the moderate frequency of rotation of a bent shaft the control lamp should not burn. If there is the return, disconnect a plait of wires from the generator.
A. If the lamp dies away, replace the generator.
B. If the lamp continues to burn, check existence of short circuit for "weight" in wires between the socket and a control lamp.
Surely check the output tension of the generator according to item 4 before assuming that short circuit of a chain of the plug L on weight caused damage of the regulator.
4. Check a condition of charging of the rechargeable battery.
To receive the correct results at this stage of check, it is necessary that the rechargeable battery was in completely loaded state.
Races. 6.13. The scheme for check of operation of the generator on the car: 1 – rechargeable battery; 2 – coal column (loading); 3 – ampermeter; 4 – generator; 5 – consumer of the electric power; 6 – block; 7 – socket; 8 – connector; 9 – digital universal measuring device
A. Install the digital universal measuring device, the ampermeter and a coal column. To be convinced that the coal column is not connected (fig. 6.13).
B. Turn the ignition key in situation "is switched off", measure and write down the size of tension of the rechargeable battery.
B. Disconnect the socket with wires from the generator.
G. Turn the ignition key in situation "ignition" (the engine is not started) and by means of the digital universal measuring device measure tension on contact of the L socket. The measured size has to be close to tension of the rechargeable battery. Otherwise, check a chain of contact of L for existence of break or the short circuit on "weight" leading to loss of tension. If necessary eliminate malfunctions.
D. Connect the socket of wires of the generator.
E. During the operation of the engine idling with a moderate frequency of rotation of a bent shaft measure tension between plugs of the rechargeable battery. Tension has to exceed the size measured according to the item B, but not exceed 16 Century.
If voltage more than 16 V or is lower than the size measured according to the item B, replace the generator.
Zh. During the operation of the engine idling with a moderate frequency of rotation of a bent shaft measure output current of the generator. Connect loading in the form of a coal column and adjust before receiving the maximum current, supporting tension on the rechargeable battery more than 13 Century. If current of less nominal rate of the generator within 15 A, the generator is serviceable. If the measured value does not reach nominal rate more, than on 15 A, the generator should be replaced.
3. During the operation of the generator with the maximum power measure tension between the case of the generator and the negative plug of the rechargeable battery. Power failure has to make less than 0,5 Century. If power failure exceeds 0,5 B, check the chain conducting from the generator case to the negative plug of the rechargeable battery for identification of the reason of power failure. Clear and delay all connections with "weight".
Service on the car
1. Disconnect a wire from the negative plug of the rechargeable battery.
2. Take off a generator drive belt. Wring out a tension roller down and take off a belt from a generator pulley.
3. Disconnect the socket of a plait of wires.
4. Turn out three bolts and remove the generator.
5. Disconnect a wire of red color from a back part of the generator.
1. Connect a wire of red color to a back part of the generator.
2. Install the generator.
3. Fix the generator by three bolts, having tightened them the next moments: the lower bolt – 51 N • m, the top bolt – 27 N • m, a back assembly bolt – 33 N • m.
4. Connect the socket of a plait of wires.
5. Establish a generator drive belt.
6. Connect a wire to the negative plug of the rechargeable battery.